Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Least of These Project

On August 22, 2010 Willow Chicago (that's a church) held a day of serving the city. I joined the 5 Loaves team packing care packages for the homeless. I thought we were just packing them and they would be distributed through the church. Little did I know that WE were doing the distributing. Uh oh.

Let's be honest. I was freaked out! I held on to that care package for two weeks...and I prayed. Really, God. Me? You can't be serious. I am not a talker by nature. What will I say? The answer came back, "I don't want you to talk, I want you to listen. It's not about you, it's about them." Yes. Of course. I should have known that. But that's great! I am a good listener. I can do that. OK, let's go.

Thus, I embarked on a project to not just give the homeless a few dollars, but to give the my time and attention (and a meal). I learned so much from each encounter that I wanted to share it with everyone else. And so was born The Least Of These project.

Through this blog, I will document their amazing stories (along with my foibles for a little comic relief). Let's begin the journey!

1 comment:

  1. this is such a wonderful concept lisa! i am so excited to be a part of your journey by reading your thoughts about each encounter :) i know this is going to be great for all of us!! :):) xoxo sara

    ReplyDelete