Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Something to Eat

Recently, while flying home from a business trip, I was reading "The Power of a Whisper" by Bill Hybels. In it, he told a story of how he prayed the following prayer: "God, if there is something you would like me to do, then please say so. It doesn't matter what it is; I'll do it." He went on to describe how God took him up on the prayer and placed someone in need right in his path.

I thought that sounded like a cool idea. So, mid-flight, I said the same prayer. I figured that since I was 30,000 feet closer to God than I normally am, He would definitely hear me. The remainder of the flight was smooth and, except for the woman next to me who needed to be let out of the row several times, no one really needed my help. After landing and collecting my belongings, I decided to take the El home rather than a cab. Halfway through the trip I thought, "I wonder if I'll actually get an assignment. I'm really not that important." To which God said, "Oh yeah, watch this!" And that's when Lorenzo boarded the train.

Lorenzo, a homeless man, announced to the whole train car that he need money for food. He told us that he was trying to find work, but had not found anything permanent. He asked if we would help and said that if we gave, God would reward us. I listened intently, but did not give him anything as he walked past my seat. After make the rounds of the car, he sat behind me. That's when I realized what was happening. I said "Alright, alright, I get it!" I turned around in my seat and struck up a conversation with Lorenzo. We talked for the rest of my ride, but there was one thing in particular that really got to me.

I asked him where he would get food if I gave him some money. He said, "McDonald's". This is exactly the answer that a homeless woman gave to the same question a few weeks ago. They both said that McDonald's was the only place they could afford. I guess when you have next to nothing, a dollar menu makes something out of nothing. But, quite frankly, that is like kicking someone when they are down. If anyone needs a nutritious meal, it is someone who eats infrequently.

I recognize that not all food at McDonald's is completely devoid of nutrition. And I admit to going in for the very occasional french fry. But I don't live on the stuff. No one can or should. I am simply amazed that a super-sized value meal is less expensive than, say, a small container of raspberries. In fact, the healthier the food and the more sustainably it is produced, the more expensive it is. And the farther out of reach it is for all but a small percentage of the population. That is a sad state of affairs. There has to be something that can be done. I haven't figured out what to do yet, but I'm sure going to try.

For Lorenzo, the only thing I could do was to give him enough money to ensure he could buy something healthy. I made him promise that he would not go to McDonald's. He promised. He also said something else. When he saw the amount I gave him, he told me I was a blessing. I said, "It's not me." To which he responded, "It's God!" Once again, I am reminded that the least are the greatest. I have found that my homeless friends have a greater faith and trust in God than my "successful" friends. My homeless friends are grateful for everything they have. Lorenzo repeatedly said he was just happy to be alive. My "successful" friends (myself included sometimes) complain at the drop of a hat.

I am embarrassed and humbled by that realization. So, I am giving myself an assignment: I will maintain a grateful attitude as I go about my very blessed life.

No comments:

Post a Comment